Please Write

I have been seeing this new letter writing book at various bookstores and was so pleased to meet the author at the annual Rosemount Writers’ Festival where I was delighted to purchase an autographed copy.

Please Write: Finding Joy and Meaning in the Soulful Art of Handwritten Letters was written by Lynne M. Kolze and published in May 2023. The price tag is high for a hardcover by a first-time author, however the quality of the book binding, the paper and illustrations, as well as the amount of detail Kolze includes all work towards delivering value worth the price. Also, the Kindle version is available for $8.99 and offers a free sample sent to your device.

I’ve only just started reading so this is not a full review of the book, but I wanted to share with readers of Letters & Journals in case you’re looking for a book that delights in all things epistolary.

I should note that by paying in person at this event, I received a discount, a couple postcards and bookmarks. She was very kind and generous and because we share a deep love and appreciation of letter writing, we connected immediately.

More to come on this book once I’ve read the entire thing. I like that the chapters have engaging titles and are pretty short, so I find myself reading 2-3 chapters at night, absorbing the information and wonderful writing and memories by Lynne, and looking forward to the next night when I can do it over again and work my way through the richness of all the author has put together in Please Write.

Some chapter titles to give you a taste of the book’s contents:

– Why We Still Need Letters

– Letters Are a Learning Laboratory

– Letters: Our Accidental Memoirs

– Doodles, Drawings and Other Delights

Do you read books about letter writing? Which one is your favorite?

Comments

Recent Posts